The School of Management has developed a core module to prepare its students for the competitive selection process of applying for internships, placements and graduate jobs, and to manage student expectations of being ‘job ready’. We are now seeking employers to support our students, offering 1:1 mock interviews and observing students perform in mock assessment centres. This is a good opportunity for businesses to support CSR activity, and to develop staff’s professional development as the sessions provide a safe environment for less experienced staff to practise interview, observation and appraisal skills.
In recent years we have had in excess of 80 employers helping us to put nearly 300 students through their paces. See this link for PR on a prior session. Hopefully, with your support, we will be able to make this a rewarding experience for our students again this year?
- A comprehensive briefing will be provided at the start of each session for the inexperienced and experienced!
- For the mock interview days we will provide you with a number of interview questions and ask you to conduct a brief 1:1 interview (20 min) with individual students and then spend 5-10 minutes providing individual feedback – e.g. how well they answered the question, professionalism, dress and general attitude.
- In the mock assessment centres you will be observing small groups of students doing group exercises and then providing feedback on contribution, team work, communication etc.
What are the benefits to the business attending?
- An ideal way to promote your business, your jobs or your placement or graduate training scheme with direct access to circa 300 students in timetabled activities
- This provides an opportunity for companies to provide their less experienced staff a personal development session on interview/selection techniques in a ‘safe environment’.
- Contribute to your company’s corporate social responsibility – students are facing really tough times and they really benefit from this kind of activity and from interaction with professionals
- For fun! We provide refreshments, good company and a chance to get out of the office for a day or half day and network with other professionals from across the region – some companies use this opportunity as a team development day and we can book additional meeting rooms on campus should you require.
What’s it all about?
This could be a first experience for some of our undergraduates in a ‘formal’ selection process and serves to provide them with a critical understanding of what it takes to be successful in securing a job in a competitive employment market, whilst providing them with a platform to develop new skills when competing for internships, placements and eventually graduate jobs.
“I had never participated in an interview before. It was the most useful thirty minutes I have ever spent with anyone and I went from being very nervous to the most confident student on campus”.
What is the commitment?
We value any support you can offer, half day or full day, or if you can’t get involved, maybe another colleague could help us? Refreshments will be available during the sessions and for those attending the full day, a buffet lunch will be provided. Details below:
Mock Interviews: Thursday 7th November and Thursday 14th November
08:30 to 13:00
13:00 to 16:00
Or full day, 08.30 to 16:00
Mock Assessment Centres: Thursday 21st November and Thursday 28th November
08:45 to 12:15
12:15 to 15:45
Or full day, 08:45 to 15:45
Where will it be held?
At the Norcroft Auditorium at the City Campus (University of Bradford, BD7 1DP)
How to book:
To book a place on any of the opportunities above, please follow the following Eventbrite links. Please note, there is an option to book car parking when booking a ticket for the event. Where possible we would be grateful if this could be limited to one car parking space per organisation.